Wednesday October 05, 2022

140,000 students yet to pay Kela healthcare fee

Published : 16 Sep 2022, 01:45

  DF Report

DF File Photo.

So far, about 132,000 students have paid the fee for autumn term 2022 but 140,000 students did not pay the fee yet, said the national social insurance institution- Kela in a press release on Thursday.

Higher education students need to pay the student healthcare fee on their own initiative and the due date for the autumn term is 30 September.

On 11 September, Kela sent a letter to students who according to the information available to Kela had registered as attending for the autumn term 2022 but had not yet paid the healthcare fee.

The letter reminds the student of the obligation to pay the fee and provides instructions for how to pay it.

In 2022, the student healthcare fee in higher education is 35.80 euros per term. Students are not billed for the fee but are expected to pay it unprompted.

Students who do not pay the fee by 30 September 2022 will get a letter from Kela reminding them of it. They will also be charged a EUR 5 late fee.

The fee is used to finance healthcare services for higher education students.

The State finances 77% of the costs for healthcare services for higher education students and the rest, 23%, are financed through the healthcare fee.

Students who have registered as attending are entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service.