Israel kills 5 policemen in Gaza, 11 in Lebanon
Published : 24 May 2026, 01:34
Five Palestinian policemen were killed by Israeli bombing of a police site in the northern Gaza Strip on Saturday, Gaza's General Directorate of Police said in a statement, reported Xinhua.
Eyewitnesses and local sources said Israeli drones fired two missiles at the site in the al-Tuam area northwest of Gaza City, triggering a large explosion, flames, and damage to parts of the building.
Palestinian medical sources told Xinhua that rescue teams recovered the bodies of at least five people and transported more than six injured individuals to hospitals for treatment.
There was no immediate comment from the Israeli army on the incident.
The strike came amid ongoing military escalation in the Gaza Strip despite a ceasefire agreement reached in October 2025. Israeli forces have continued to carry out airstrikes targeting Hamas-related sites across the enclave.
Earlier on Saturday, Gaza health authorities said hospitals in the Gaza Strip had received eight bodies and 29 wounded people over the past 48 hours.
According to Gaza health authorities, since the ceasefire took effect in October 2025, Israeli attacks have killed 890 people and injured 2,677 others, bringing the overall death toll in Gaza since Oct. 7, 2023, to 72,783, with 172,779 wounded.
Meanwhile, Israeli airstrikes across southern and eastern Lebanon killed at least 11 people and wounded several others overnight into Saturday, Lebanon's National News Agency reported, said Xinhua.
The Lebanese army said in a statement posted on X that one soldier sustained moderate injuries after an Israeli strike hit an army barracks in Nabatieh, in southern Lebanon.
Lebanon's Public Health Emergency Operations Center said 25 medical, nursing, and administrative staff members at Hiram Hospital in the Tyre district were wounded after Israeli strikes hit near the facility, causing severe damage. The center said it was the second time in less than two months the hospital had been struck, calling the attacks a violation of international humanitarian law protecting health facilities.
Hezbollah said its members targeted a newly established Israeli position in the border town of Maroun al-Ras using a swarm of explosive drones. The group also said it struck a gathering of Israeli soldiers inside a tent in Maroun al-Ras with an attack drone and shelled Israeli troop positions near a riverbed on the outskirts of Deir Siriane with artillery.
In a separate statement, Hezbollah said it fired a surface-to-air missile at an Israeli Heron 1 surveillance drone over the Bekaa region, forcing it out of Lebanese airspace.
Lebanon's Public Health Emergency Operations Center said the cumulative death toll from Israeli attacks since March 2 has reached 3,123, with 9,506 others wounded as of Saturday.
The strikes came amid ongoing Israeli military activity across southern Lebanon despite a ceasefire agreement announced last month.
