'Aura' and 'quality': Neuer returns into Germany team for World Cup
Published : 22 May 2026, 00:23
Former captain Manuel Neuer has come out of international retirement and will be Germany's first choice goalkeeper at the World Cup as coach Julian Nagelsmann praised his "aura" and "quality."
Bayern Munich's Neuer, 40, originally retired from the national team in 2024 after 15 years and 124 caps highlighted by the 2014 World Cup title.
He renewed his Bayern contract by another year last weekend and was now recalled by Nagelsmann into a 26-player squad on Thursday, mainly because his first choice successor Marc-André ter Stegen is injured.
Hoffenheim's Oliver Baumann played in all qualifiers and appeared to be first choice for the World Cup as well but the former long-time team captain Neuer has much more experience at big events. VfB Stuttgart's Alexander Nübel is the third keeper and Neuer's Munich deputy Jonas Urbig will also travel as a non-squad member.
"Everyone knows about Manu's aura, the quality he has, what he gives the team. He is without doubt among the three best goalkeepers in the country. We plan with him as number one," Nagelsmann said it the squad presentation at the German FA academy in Frankfurt.
The June 11-July 19 tournament in the United States, Mexico and Canada will be the fifth World Cup for the veteran Neuer.
Nagelsmann admitted that the decision was "a blow" for Baumann and said he informed him in March that he was in contact with Neuer about a possible return. He said there could be a scenario that Neuer, who has been nursing calf problems lately, can't play and that Baumann would be ready.
While Neuer returns there was no place in the squad for Cologne teenager Said El Mala, the Stuttgart duo of Chris Führich and Maximilian Mittelstädt or AC Milan striker Niclas Füllkrug.
But Bayern Munich's Jamal Musiala and Kai Havertz from Premier League champions Arsenal have recovered in time from long-term injuries and are set to be starters.
Lennart Karl is the youngest player at age 18 after a breakthrough season and among seven players from Bundesliga champions Bayern, led by Germany captain Joshua Kimmich.
Kimmich was among 12 players named on the German Football Federation (DFB) website in videos, released earlier in the day in 30-minute intervals in which friends, family members and Nagelsmann featured.
Kimmich's wife Lina said that "everyone knows that you are a superb footballer but for us you are much more than that. You are my best friend, a fantastic husband and an even better father."
Nagelsmann named Kimmich "a role model for many boys and girls who play football and want to turn professional, because you always lead the way with positive ambition."
Stuttgart and Borussia Dortmund have four players each, and there are several players from English clubs apart from Havertz, most notably Liverpool's Florian Wirtz and Newcastle striker Noick Woltemade.
The squad was originally to gather on Monday but that has been pushed back a few days because Bayern and Stuttgart contest the German Cup final on Saturday.
Germany play a tune-up against Finland on May 31 before leaving for the US on June 2.
A final tune-up against the US is on June 6 before Nagelsmann's team starts the tournament on June 14 against debutants Curaçao, with Ivory Coast and Ecuador the other group stage opponents.
Germany are four time World Cup winners but went out in the group stage at the last two editions in 2018 and 2022.
Nagelsmann said his big aims still stand: "I think all teams want to be become world champions. We as well. Every player who has been nominated has the obligation to show that."
The mood in Germany is rather subdued but Nagelsmann said to "create euphoria to acting" in the form of good results against Finland and the US plus a good start into the tournament.
"I am happy when it starts because then we don't have to talk but play football," he said.
