Tuesday October 26, 2021
Probe into Zverev abuse allegations underway
Published : 05 Oct 2021, 00:05
German Olympic tennis champion Alexander Zverev is being investigated by the ATP Tour over allegations of physical violence made against him by an ex-girlfriend.
"An internal investigation into allegations concerning Alexander Zverev at the ATP Masters 1000 event in Shanghai in 2019 is currently underway," a statement said Monday.
"The ATP fully condemns any form of violence or abuse and will investigate such allegations related to conduct at an ATP member tournament."
Zverev's ex-girlfriend, Olga Sharypova, has alleged that during their relationship he was physically abusive towards her, including at the Shanghai tournament. The player has denied wrong-doing.
“The allegations raised against Alexander Zverev are serious and we have a responsibility to address them," said ATP chief executive officer Massimo Calvelli. "We hope our investigation will allow us to establish the facts and determine appropriate follow-up action.
"We understand Zverev welcomes our investigation and acknowledge that he has denied all allegations. We will also be monitoring any further legal developments following the preliminary injunction obtained by Zverev in the German courts.”
Zverev said in August he had instructed lawyers in Germany and the United States to take action over accusations he said were "defamatory and false."
"I categorically and unequivocally deny having abused Olya," he added, using a diminutive form of her name.
Zverev's brother and manager Mischa has been contacted for comment.
On Monday the ATP also said it had received an Independent Safeguarding Report, commissioned earlier in the season as part of a "safeguarding review to ensure all adults and minors involved in professional tennis are safe and protected from abuse."
The ATP said it would evaluate its recommendations "to identify immediate next steps and develop a longer-term safeguarding strategy relating to all matters of abuse, including domestic violence."