Thursday May 21, 2026

European countries condemn Israeli treatment of Gaza flotilla activists

Published : 20 May 2026, 22:47

  DF News Desk
A boat of the Gaza-bound aid flotilla (L), after being intercepted by the Israeli navy, is escorted toward the Israeli port of Ashdod, Israel, on May 19, 2026. Photo: Xinhua.

Many European countries on Wednesday sharply criticized Israel's treatment of activists detained from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, condemning the humiliation of detainees as unacceptable and inhumane, reported Xinhua.

Foreign ministers and leaders of Spain, Britain, Ireland, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Austria described Israeli action as a violation of human dignity, while also demanding explanations, apologies and the release of their citizens.

Spain's Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation, Jose Manuel Albares, described as "monstrous" the treatment of around 430 activists aboard the flotilla, which was intercepted by Israel in international waters near Cyprus after departing from Türkiye last week.

Albares condemned video footage released by Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir showing detainees kneeling on the ground with their hands tied behind their backs. "This treatment is monstrous, undignified and inhumane. I demand a public apology from Israel," Albares said, adding that Spain had summoned Israel's charge d'affaires in Madrid to demand an explanation.

Taoiseach of Ireland Micheal Martin said he was "appalled and shocked" by the treatment of Irish citizens detained by Israel. Irish Foreign Minister Helen McEntee criticized the footage circulated by Ben-Gvir, saying the detainees were not treated "with appropriate dignity or respect," and demanded immediate assurances regarding the welfare and legal protections of Irish nationals.

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said she was "truly appalled" by Ben-Gvir's video, accusing the Israeli minister of taunting those involved in the flotilla. She said the treatment "violates the most basic standards of respect and dignity in the way people should be treated."

"We have demanded an explanation from the Israeli authorities and made clear their obligations to protect the rights of our citizens and all those involved," she said.

France likewise condemned the incident, with Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot calling Ben-Gvir's actions "unacceptable." Paris said Israel's ambassador to France would be summoned to provide explanations, while stressing that French citizens involved in the convoy must be treated with respect and released as soon as possible.

Italy also issued a strong protest, with Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani calling the treatment of detainees "unacceptable." The government said the activists, including numerous Italian citizens, had been subjected to conduct detrimental to human dignity and demanded both their immediate release and an apology from Israel.

Rome also announced it would summon the Israeli ambassador for clarification and said the government has been working to secure the immediate release of the Italian citizens involved.

Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten described Israel's treatment of the activists as "dehumanizing" and said it "goes beyond all bounds." He said he had raised the issue directly with Israeli President Isaac Herzog and called for the immediate release of the activists.

Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen likewise described the images released by Ben-Gvir as "shocking and unacceptable," saying such treatment violated "basic human dignity." He added that he had discussed the issue with Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar and would summon the Israeli ambassador. Dutch media said six Dutch nationals are among the detained activists.

Austrian Foreign Minister Beate Meinl-Reisinger also branded Israeli action as "absolutely unacceptable." "Today, we expressed our outrage to the Israeli Embassy in Vienna," she said, noting that the government is in constant communication with the Israeli side for the release of three Austrian nationals detained by Israel.

Portugal's Foreign Ministry also issued its condemnation on X, saying "the treatment inflicted on the flotilla activists in a humiliating violation of human dignity." The ministry has summoned Israel's ambassador in Lisbon for an explanation and demanded the release of the citizens concerned, the post added.

On social media platform X, German Ambassador to Israel Steffen Seibert called Ben-Gvir's actions "wholly unacceptable and incompatible with the basic values of our countries." He welcomed criticism from within Israel against the handling of the detainees.

On Monday morning, Israel began intercepting the ships, which set sail from Türkiye on Thursday in a third attempt to break Israel's blockade of Gaza and deliver aid to Palestinians. Around midnight Tuesday, the Israeli Foreign Ministry said the activists had been transferred to Israeli vessels, heading to Israel.

The ministry said Israel would not allow any breach of what it called the "lawful" naval blockade of Gaza, describing the flotilla as "a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," but the activists would be allowed to meet their consular representatives.