U.S. to impose visa restrictions on persons responsible for ICC probe
15 Mar 2019, 18:30 ( 2 Months ago)
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Friday that the United States is imposing visa restrictions on those individuals "directly responsible" for any International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation of U.S. personnel.
The restrictions would apply to any court employee who takes or has taken action "to request or further such an investigation," Pompeo told reporters at a State Department press conference.
The restrictions "may also be used to deter ICC efforts to pursue allied personnel, including Israelis," Pompeo added.
Claiming that the implementation of the policy had already begun, Pompeo did not reveal the identities of people at the Hague-based court who have or will be affected.
The top U.S. diplomat also said Washington is prepared to "take additional steps," including economic sanctions, if the ICC "does not change its course."
The Trump administration threatened in September to block the ICC personnel from entering the United States and even prosecute them if it charges U.S. military members serving in Afghanistan over war crimes.