Cuba moves to final stage of probe into deadly plane crash
18 Sep 2018, 23:38 ( 10 Months ago)
Cuban civil aviation authorities said on Tuesday they have finished recuperating the contents of two black boxes from the plane that crashed outside Havana's international airport in May.
Officials said they were now ready to review the recordings "second by second" to determine if the plane was brought down by human error or a technical problem.
Black boxes record both flight data and cockpit voices, and state-run television cited the president of the Civil Aviation Institute, Armando Daniel Lopez, as saying that 100 percent of the contents of the first and 95 percent of the second had been recovered.
The government investigating committee will now analyze the information in each device to determine the possible causes of the tragic accident that claimed the lives of all but one of the 113 people on board.
The lone survivor, a young Cuban woman, remains in critical condition at a Havana hospital.
The Boeing 737-200, leased by Cubana de Aviacion from Mexican company Damojh, crashed on May 18 moments after taking off from Jose Marti International Airport in Havana.
The victims included 101 Cubans, five foreigners and six crew members, all Mexicans.
Specialists from Cuba, Mexico and the United States have been taking part in the investigation.