12 injured in Manchester shooting
12 Aug 2018, 21:10 ( 2 Months ago)
Detectives are investigating a shooting in the British city of Manchester as attempted murder, after a shot gun was fired earlier Sunday during a busy street party and wounded 12 people, local authorities said.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said at around 2:30 a.m. (0130 GMT) it received a report of gunshots heard on Claremont Road in the Moss Side area.
Nine people went to hospital, aged from 12 to in their 50s, with pellet-type wounds that are not believed to be serious. One man has since been discharged.
A tenth person, a man, remains in a stable but serious condition in hospital with injuries to his legs. Another two people have presented themselves at hospital to be checked over. Their injuries are not thought to be serious at the time, according to the police.
The police said detectives are still working to establish the motive behind the attack but are currently treating it as attempted murder.
"From enquiries so far, it is believed a shot gun was fired on at least two occasions but the weapon is yet to be recovered. Searches remain ongoing in the area and armed as well as unarmed officers will continue to patrol throughout Moss Side," the police said in a statement.
Chief Superintendent Wasim Chaudhry, from GMP's City of Manchester division, said: "The investigation remains in its very early stages and we are still appealing for people to come forward to police with information about who is responsible for this reckless attack."