France rejects ultimatums after Iran's decision to relax 2015 deal commitments
21 May 2019, 18:24 ( 28 days ago)
France on Tuesday reiterated commitment to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, but said it would not accept ultimatums after Iran announced it was resuming uranium enrichment beyond levels allowed in the accord, according to the country's Foreign Ministry's spokesperson.
"We reject any ultimatum and will assess Iran's compliance with its nuclear commitments and implementation of JCPOA (The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action ) ..." said spokesperson Agnes von der Muhll.
"We strongly urge Iran to continue to implement all of its obligations under JCPOA, as it has done so far, and to refrain from any action that would violate its commitments," she added.
At a daily e-press briefing, von der Muhll noted that Paris, with its European partners, remained committed to preserving and fully implementing the Iran nuclear deal.
The agreement was inked by Iran with Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States in 2015, under which Tehran curbed its uranium enrichment capacity to win sanctions relief in return.
U.S. President Donald Trump pulled the country out of the deal and reimposed sanctions on Iran. In response to Washington's move, Tehran, in early May, said it would no longer respect levels of enriched uranium agreed in the nuclear deal.