Saturday April 04, 2020

Site-seeing in Rovaniemi

A ride from city centre to Santa Claus Village and back for only €20. Call us at +358 4510 26112 Email: riderovaniemi@gmail.com

Eurovision Contest in Netherlands canceled due to coronavirus

Published : 18 Mar 2020, 21:56

  DF-Xinhua Report

Eurovision Song Contest Trophy 2019. Photo Eurovision by Thomas Hanses.

The 65th Eurovision Song Contest scheduled for May 2020 in Rotterdam has been canceled due to the coronavirus crisis, Dutch national broadcaster NOS announced on Wednesday.

   The first semi-final was scheduled for May 12, the second for May 14 and the grand final was planned for May 16 in the Rotterdam Ahoy event center. A new date has not been picked yet.

   The three national broadcasters NPO, NOS and AVROTROS said they understand the decision by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU).

   "This decision was inevitable," NPO chairman Shula Rijxman said, "given the conditions currently affecting all of Europe as a result of the coronavirus, and all the measures that governments must now take."

   On May 18 last year, Dutch singer Duncan Laurence won the Eurovision Song Contest of 2019 in Tel Aviv, Israel, with his song "Arcade." The win meant that the Netherlands had to organize the next edition.